Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Flying Fig

Cocktail Recipe.

I have a fondness for figs. I like them served along side a strong cheese, stewed with brandy and especially paired with pork tenderloin. Fig trees usually bear fruit twice, once in the early summer and then again in the late summer. Since I like figs in almost any form, I decided to take advantage of the last crop and search for a fig inspired adult beverage.

I ran across The Flying Fig, on the Chow website, which was a semi-finalist in the Cocktail Square Off contest hosted by Square One Vodka. Honestly, for a casual drink at home I would usually skip a drink recipe that has this amount of ingredients and needs muddling. But I couldn’t shake the feeling that the figs, Elderflower liqueur, agave syrup and fresh mint would be worth pulling out the mortar and pestle. In the end, I am glad that my lazy side did not win out because this drink was everything I wanted it to be…refreshing, light and delicious.

This drink may not be ideal for a large crowd since it is a bit labor intensive and really needs to be strained more than once which could get really messy in large quantities. However, if you are having a couple friends over for dinner or just want to plan a special evening for you and your sweetie, this drink won’t disappoint.

The Flying Fig

Ingredients
2 to 3 fresh organic figs
1/2 ounce St-Germain elderflower liqueur
2 ounces Square One Organic Vodka
1 ounce fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice
1/2 ounce raw organic agave syrup to taste
Fresh organic mint, leaf garnish

Directions
Muddle diced fig in the elderflower liqueur (reserve one slice for garnish). Add cracked ice, vodka, lemon juice, and agave syrup. Shake vigorously. Slap one mint leaf, rim and drop in chilled cocktail glass along with reserved fig slice. Strain cocktail into glass.

No comments: