Saturday, February 13, 2010

Frozen Assets

DIY Ice Vase.

While I was flipping through my Rachel Ray Magazine this month I saw these great little ice vases. They were designed by Serge Peloquin, artistic director of the Hotel de Glace in Quebec, Canada. What I love about them is the simple square design. I have seen many ice vases in my day but let’s just say most of them are very “ornate” and therefore not really my cup of tea.

These vases would look great in a grouping and could easily be varied to fit your space. They would be great outside if you have a venue that you are trying to spruce up, flowers in ice vases along the steps or walkways is a fantastic way to catch people’s eye. Sometimes outdoor signage can be tricky in the winter.


It’s simple, affordable and unique. Unfortunately the photo was not online, so the above is a scan that has been cropped. You can check out the real deal in the February issue of Everday With Rachel Ray.

Instructions:
Fill cardboard cartons with water. Dip a thin, circular object, like a wooden spoon handle, into the center to create a hole and tape it in place. Freeze overnight. Remove, then peel away the carton. Place flowers into the hole of each ice block and set on rimmed plates to catch any melting water.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

This is a great idea! I could see it used in tons of different ways... and if only it was cold enough out front you could have an ice vase that lasts forever. Just stumbled on to your blog from Grey Likes Weddings and I LOVE it! I'm adding it to my blog roll right away.